Monday, March 31, 2014

Speaking Plainly

     I have this unique gift. I like to think of it as a gift. I love children.  I have always wanted to work with kids since I can remember. I teach so therefore, during the week, I work with kids but then on Sundays, I work in the church nursery.  I love to rock and cuddle the babies that come stay in there for a short while. They grow so fast that it seems like a short time.
      One Sunday, I walked into the nursery and there was a little girl screaming her head off. She wanted her momma and daddy and nothing was working to calm her down.  I looked at the little girl and stood there for a minute. Then I held out my arms. She stopped crying and held her arms up. Now, I knew that she thought I was going to take her to her momma but instead, I decided to talk plainly to her. (I should note here that when my own kids were growing up, we never baby talked to them. We treated them like they were little versions of ourselves. Maybe that's why they have sarcasm down to an art. (That is a joke!)) 
     I told this child (who is almost 2) that her momma and daddy were going to come back.  They always came back because they loved her so. I went on to tell her that they needed to go hear their Bible story and then once they finished that they would come and get her.  I then explained to her that we were going to go sit in the rocking chair and rock for a minute and calm down. I told her that she needed to settle in and just relax. I stood there for a just minute longer and then I went and sat down. This little girl looked up at me as we sat down and then she turned and snuggled up against me and went to sleep. Trust me when I say that method doesn't always work but every once in a while I get lucky and it works.
     I believe that God does the same thing with us.  We are having a tantrum, screaming and kicking to get our way.  God picks us up, tells us plainly in His words what is going to happen and why and then He holds us close to give us that reassurance that He loves us.   It is in this time that we can close our eyes and just breathe Him in. It is in this time that we can relax because we know that He is in charge and He has a plan. I love that.
     Be blessed.  I am always praying.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment