Thursday, April 3, 2014

My Mom-in-Law

    I had a great Mom-in-Law.  She was anything but the typical Mom-in-Law. She was not condescending, hateful, or anything like you hear about in the media. She welcomed me with open arms from the very first time I met her and was introduced as "just a friend". (Later she told me that when my hubby introduced me, she knew at that moment that I was going to be her daughter-in-law). She may have been short but she was a powerhouse when it came to loving her kids and her family. She supported me, guided me, helped me more times than I could ever count.  She would pray over me all the time.  She never spoke an unkind word about anyone or anything.  She was sweet and loving to everyone she came in contact with.  She was such a Godly woman.  She gave of herself willingly even when she didn't feel good.  She was talented in art and she made many things over the years for the family.  She was a great role model for me.  She could cook for large quantities of people and never got flustered about it.  She knew how to welcome people and make them feel special.  
     I try really hard to be like her. I want to be that kind of Mom-in-Law for my kids when the time comes.  I want to be that kind of mom to my kids. I want them to remember me as a kind, sweet, loving, gentle, person. Not a snarky, crazy, angry weirdo. Unfortunately, there are many times when I fall flat and the weirdo in me comes out. It is in these times, that I have to remember and think hard about the words I choose, my actions, and my thoughts. 
     Unfortunately, we lost her to a hateful disease.  It broke my heart.  I realized just how much a part of my life she was.  Even to this day, I can't think about her or talk about her without choking up and crying a bit.  I know it is strange but I visit her grave often to talk things over with her and I write letters to her.  I know that she is in heaven and I know that she won't answer me but just talking it out with her seems to help me. It helps me to put things in perspective.
       I know that someday I will see her. I look forward to that day. I hope that I am making her proud of me and the way I am caring for my family and raising my kids. I know that by using her as an example, I have a great start. Be blessed.  I am praying always.

No comments:

Post a Comment